Mission, Vision and Values
Our mission, vision and values guide the work we do every day. They inform our plans and policies, and ensure that we remain focused on serving our students and our community.
Brightpoint Community College provides quality educational opportunities that inspire student success and community vitality.
A success story for every student.
- Ensuring access to a high-quality, high-value education for all
- Fostering supportive relationships that help students stay on track
- Empowering students to achieve success on their own terms
- Encouraging a positive, diverse and inclusive campus community
- Partnering to create mutually beneficial collaborations
- Helping the community thrive by meeting local educational and economic needs
Brightpoint Community College embraces a culture of diversity, equity and inclusion that empowers anyone from anywhere to be successful in their academic and professional pursuits. We strive to provide an environment that is enriching to all by understanding and appreciating our dimensions of diversity, becoming global citizens, and welcoming new ways of engaging the unique contributions of all people.
VCCS Code of Ethics
Brightpoint's faculty and staff also abide by the Virginia Community College System (VCCS) Code of Ethics:
- We are committed to learning environments that foster academic integrity.
- We will foster in all disciplines a mutual respect and openness for the freedom of responsible student thought, research, and discussion on all sides of academic issues to facilitate balanced and thorough academic analysis for all participants.
- We will be good stewards of our resources and make effective and efficient use of them, thereby ensuring accountability to the Commonwealth and to the communities we serve.
- We will maintain the confidentiality and security of information entrusted to us and share information only when authorized or required by law to do so.
- We will not accept any gift, favor, loan, service, business or professional opportunity from anyone knowing (or when it should be known) that it is offered in order to improperly influence the performance of our public duties. We will avoid even the appearance of a conflict of interest.
- We will offer good faith and fair dealings to all those we serve and with each other. Our communications will be civil and professional.
- We will offer employment opportunities in accordance with State, Federal, and System policies supporting the rights and recognizing the needs of all citizens regardless of gender, race, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or political affiliation.
- We encourage and expect all members of the community to act in good faith and bring to the attention of the appropriate official any violation or potential violation of these principles.
Putting Our Mission, Vision and Values Into Action
Strategic Plan: Opportunity 2027
During the 2020-21 academic year, the Strategic Planning Task Force, a team comprised of internal and external stakeholders, developed our next strategic plan to guide the college through 2027. The plan was approved by the College Board in June 2021.
Our new plan captures elements of our updated Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Plan and is based on the Virginia Community College System's Opportunity 2027 Strategic Plan. Over the next six years, we commit to continuing our work to achieve equitable outcomes in learning and student success, and to our ongoing mission and vision.
Brightpoint's goals for Opportunity 2027 are:
- Advance equity in access, inclusion, and completion by strengthening our student and academic supports, particularly for our underserved populations of students.
- Expand and enhance our funding and finance models to include flexible financial options to students.
- Provide educational and career pathways through expanded partnerships and experiential learning options for students.
- Identify and invest in innovative processes and equity practices to improve and promote a culture of professional excellence and student success.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Plan
During the fall of 2020 and the spring of 2021, a Task Force worked to finalize a new six-year Diversity, Equity and Inclusion plan to continue our efforts toward creating a campus that is diverse, equitable and welcoming to all students, faculty and staff.
College and Facility Names
Part of Brightpoint's commitment to equity was to research and examine the names of campus buildings and landmarks, as well as the name of the college itself, to ensure that they aligned with our mission, vision and values.
A Focus on Student Engagement and Success – Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP)
Our QEP is a multi-year plan designed to support and improve student success, and it is part of our college’s reaffirmation process with our regional accreditor, the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). In fall 2020 and spring 2021, our QEP Task Force Topic Committee, made up of faculty and staff, reviewed three years of feedback surveys; examined externally-prepared reports; held collegewide focus groups; and surveyed faculty, staff and students about potential QEP focus area. After completing their work they put forth the following topic for the college's next QEP:
Our QEP will focus on a holistic and inclusive approach to student engagement and success. The cohesive and collaborative plan will involve multiple areas of our college, and will include intensive academic advising, financial coaching, program mapping by academic discipline, strategic scheduling, and targeted marketing and outreach.
The plan will be finalized in the coming months and posted on this page when it is complete.
*Note: The institution's name changed to Brightpoint Community College on July 1, 2022.